Wednesday, April 28, 2010

**My Sister**

I love my sister, Nikki, and, a great thing, I really like her, too! It wasn't always that way - growing up we fought alot. It wasn't until my college years that we started to become closer, and today, at the ages of 36 and 38, our relationship is rock solid. She is one of the few people in this world that I am 100% comfortable with. She knows me and totally gets me - the good and the bad. She knows what makes me happy and she knows what makes me sad. And she doesn't give a crap that I'm totally neurotic - she loves me anyway.:)

Nik is always there for me. I dealt with secondary infertility for three years, and Nikki always, somehow, knew what to say and what NOT to say. It was one of the hardest times of my life, but she made it easier and I've never forgotten that.

She knows me so well, and that feels good. She knows when I need her, and I love that. I remember, one time, I was at home watching The Rosie O'Donnell Show - I can't remember exactly what it was about, but it was a touching or sad story. Nikki, coincidentally, was at home watching it, too. She knew I watched the show, and she called me and said, "I know, you're crying right now!", and she was right, I was! It's the little things like this that, for me, make our relationship special.

My sister is selfless. I wish she would worry more about herself, or ask for help more when she needs it, but that's just not her way. She goes above and beyond for others. She's a great mother, sister, girlfriend, daughter, aunt, and friend - we are all lucky to have her.

Nik and I have fun together. I really enjoy her company, and I always look forward to hanging out w/ her. Unfortunately, we don't get to spend as much time together, as I would like. She has alot on her plate - she's a single mom to her two boys, Nic and Luc. And she and her boyfriend, recently, had a baby. Plus, she works full-time. Also, she volunteers for Big Brothers Big Sisters. Oh, there's a bunch of stuff she's busy with, so she doesn't have much free time. So, I miss her, and I, often, look forward to the day when we're old and gray (but still wonderfully fabulous) and we have all the time in the world to hang out and just talk, talk, talk.

I found these great quotes:

There can be no situation in life in which the conversation of my dear sister will not administer some comfort to me. - Mary Montagu

Sisters function as safety nets in a chaotic world simply by being there for each other. - Carol Saline

When mom and dad don't understand, a sister always will. - Author Unknown

To the outside world we all grow old. But not to brothers and sisters. We know each other as we always were. We know each other's hearts. We share private family jokes. We remember family feuds and secrets, family griefs and joys. We live outside the touch of time. - Clara Ortega

No comments:

Post a Comment