Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

It's hard to believe it's been 7 years since that horrible day when so many innocent people lost theirs lives. I was watching the Today Show when the first plane hit and as they were covering all that was going on the second plane came into view and hit the other building. I remember calling my dad at work and telling him I had just watched the plane fly right into the building but my brain had not yet taken in what was happening. It took awhile for me to realize that people were dying right before my eyes. Brennie woke up from her morning nap around 10:30am and as I was changing her diaper the phone rang so I let the machine pick up - when I was done w/ Brennie I checked the messages. It was my Grandma DeLaGarza - she said, "Mija, did you see the planes? I don't know what is happening - the world must be coming to an end, I think. I don't know. I love you." I'll never forget that message or how scared she sounded.

There was so much on tv today about 9/11 and Brenna saw some of it and asked me what happened. I told her what the terrorist had done and she asked why people would do something like that. How do I explain something so awful to a 7 year old? How do I explain the unexplainable? So, I was honest and I told her - "I don't know" - because I don't know why they did it. I don't understand that kind of hate or evil. And that's okay - it's okay because I'm not always going to have ALL the answers for my girls. Sometimes parents just have to say - I don't know!

Someone sent me a tribute video of 9/11 - in it were many images of that day at the WTC...the planes hitting the buildings, the fires, people jumping to their deaths and the collapse of both buildings. It was hard to watch but at the end I came away feeling very grateful and thankful for the life that I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment