Monday, December 21, 2009

~Homeschooling~

Some of our family members and friends don't agree with (or understand) our decision to homeschool and I've never really felt the need to explain it. When I started thinking about it I shared my thoughts w/ Dave because I knew he had to be on board if it was something we were going to do so we researched it for a few weeks and decided to go for it. So, here we are over 4 years later and I couldn't be happier w/ our decision.

There are MANY reasons we made the decision to homeschool but the one that got the ball rolling was a concern about having enough time w/ my child. At the young age of five, kindergarten was nearing for Brenna and something was not sitting right with me. Already, it was time to send her off to spend her days with strangers? Really? I only get her for 5 years? And, now, for about 7 hours a day, 5 days a week, for the next 12 years, someone else will have this precious time with her? They won't even realize how lucky they are to have her! I always knew I wanted to be a stay at home mom but, too soon, after 5 short years, it seemed my time was up. I couldn't wrap my brain around it. I read somewhere (and I agree) - quantity AND quality time with your child is both important and without quantity of time there cannot be quality of time. I love being w/ my kids - most days :) - and I am so grateful for this time I have with them. I get to see (and help) my girls learn, play, explore, live! I'm not leaving all that to someone else and I am so happy about that ... and so are they!

So, for now, homeschooling is working for my girls - it's working for our family as a whole, and that's what matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment