Tuesday, November 23, 2010

*My Not So Little Baby*

My Aubree is only seven years old, but you wouldn't know it by looking at her! Heck, she's nearly as tall me! And yesterday I bought her boots in a women's size 6!!! I have no doubt that she will be as tall as me by her eighth birthday next April! As she continues to grow and grow I wonder how tall she will be by the time she's done growing - taller than me, for sure.

I remember, so vividly, seeing the then 16 month old Aubree in Ukraine for the first time! We knew next to nothing about her, but we didn't care - we just knew that she was ours, and she belonged with our family. However, I can't say that Aubree and I bonded right away . We had a hard time connecting - there were many, many, many tears shed. Today, we still have moments of "trial and error", but we've come a long way in six years. I love that little girl - I love her so much. I am so, so grateful that she is my daughter. I know how lucky I am that she came into my life. And no matter how tall she gets - she will always be my little baby.

One of my favorite adoption poems:

The Gift of Life

I didn't give you the gift of life,
But in my heart I know.
The love I feel is deep and real,
As if it had been so.

For us to have each other
Is like a dream come true!
No, I didn't give you
The gift of life,
Life gave me the gift of you.

Author ~ Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment